English Placement Information for New Students to Iowa State University
If you are an incoming freshman or transfer student who does NOT have transfer credit in English composition AND your first language is English, then placement in English will be based on your official ACT-E or SAT-EWR scores and final high school rank according to the following guidelines below:
- If you have an ACT-E score of 24 or higher, SAT-ERW score of 600 or higher, or SAT-CR score of 550 or higher, you will automatically be placed in the second of the two required English courses at Iowa State University, English 250.
- If you do not meet the above placement criteria for English 250, you will be placed in English 150.
- If you do not have ACT-E, SAT-EWR, SAT-CR scores, you will be placed in English 150.
- If you have an ACT-E score below 16, SAT-ERW below 450, or SAT-CR below 410, you are expected to supplement your work in English 150 with regular appointments with the Writing and Media Center.
If you are a student whose first language is NOT English, then the following applies:
- If you graduated from a U.S. high school AND have an ACT-E score of 16 or higher, SAT-ERW of 450 or higher, SAT-CR of 410 or higher, your English placement will be determined according to the criteria above for students whose first language is English.
- If you do not meet the above criteria, you are required to register for the English Placement Test for Non-Native Speakers of English (EPT). Information, registration, dates and locations are available on the Applied Linguistics Program website.